Hi!

A place to introduce yourself.

Moderators: JillStar, Metaphor Makers

calico
Master Tripper

Hi!

Postby calico » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:11 am

Hi. I just joined up. I'm hoping to get some good tips and meet other writers. I've only written short stories so far, but I want to start a book soon.

I hope.

:)

Calico
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:29 am

Welcome to Worctrip Calico! Poke around in the forums and I'm sure you'll find a lot of good tips, and just wait around and you'll get to meet the rest of the wacky writers around here. Happy wordtripping.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:07 am

hi calico!
welcome to wordtrip! Hope you like it here :D
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:11 am

Hi, Calico--welcome to the boards.

We take all kinds of writers--books, short stories, articles, poems, songs, scripts. The members here tend to make themselves scarce around the holidays (you're all off busy WRITING, right guys??) but the activity usually ramps back up in January. In the meantime, feel free to dig through the threads and see what you find. Join in the threads, or start your own. Above all, have fun.

Happy wordtripping.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:41 am

Hello, Calico...while waiting for things to "ramp up again", as Mudge says, try some of our challenges or post some of your work.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:29 pm

Welcome Calico!!!!

I'll second Mlou. Try a couple of challenges. Pick a couple that are comfortable to you and try at least one that's not quite so comfortable. We can all benefit by stretching a bit as writers. We just had a Novel Writing Week awhile ago but don't worry we'll have another one coming next year. That might be a good time to try your hand at something novel length.
Is this my reality or yours?
calico
Master Tripper

Postby calico » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:41 pm

thanks for the warm welcome. :)
I'll check out the challenges later- I take adult ed courses at my local college sometimes just for the assignments.
Penguin
Master Tripper

Postby Penguin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:12 pm

Hey calico. I'm Penguin. Like everybody else said, try the challenges, check out the book club, or start your own blog. There's lots to do around here.
I think I overuse the exclamation point! Or maybe I'm just moody!~Penguin
I'll admit I did have something to do with the thermometer incident, but it wasn't my fault.
calico
Master Tripper

Postby calico » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:22 pm

Hey, I checked out the challenges, and the current ones look like they stress quantity- like as many poems as possible, etc. I'm not at tha point but i'd like to read some assignments- are there ever just 'write about xxx' and people submit what they came up with?

Its nice to meet all of you by the way. I see a lot of North Easteners like me. :)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:24 pm

Actually if you click on "All Forums" and then scroll down to the area with the Writing Challenges you'll see that there are new assignments/prompts/challenges almost every day of the week with a variety of parameters not limited to how many words you are writing.

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
calico
Master Tripper

Postby calico » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:25 pm

ohhhhhhhh... thank you. I just posted a short story I wrote but i'm not sure which forum I put it in.
Writingmom
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Writingmom » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:32 pm

Welcome!! I look forward to reading your work. You'll love it here. 8)
http://ldspaz.blogspot.com
~*~ Writing is life ~*~
calico
Master Tripper

Postby calico » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:54 pm

Thank you! I hope you don't all get sick of me. I have so many questions. I've always loved writing and have taken some writing courses. I just finished (tonight is the last class actually) a writing workshop at my local college and I want to start writing a book in January.

I actually wish that *I* was the teacher of this writing workshop I just took. I have no credentials, but i was disturbed at the lack of feedback this teacher gave. I mean, she was encouraging, but to EVERYONE, even the guy who wrote cheesy detective stories for every assignment, and used profanity as much as humanly possible. She never gave him a bit of advice, and people would fall asleep when he read.
One assignment was to write a story using dialoge. And then she never gave out an ounce of advice about it.

I took the class to help me find "my voice", but I really didn't. The only thing i did discover is that I have to stop trying to be funny. :)
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:03 pm

Hey! What are you saying about cheesy detective stories laced with profanity? :shock:

Seriously, Calico--the only bad questions are the ones you don't ask. Let 'er rip.

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
calico
Master Tripper

Postby calico » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:55 pm

TheMudge wrote:Hey! What are you saying about cheesy detective stories laced with profanity? :shock:

Seriously, Calico--the only bad questions are the ones you don't ask. Let 'er rip.

hey, i'm all for profanity, but this guy used phrases and profanity that left us all rolling our eyes.
I decided he should be a writer for the flonase commercials with the private investigator. He wrote like those things.

I'll share one thing he wrote- that was the best thing he wrote for the entire 10 weeks.
In one story, the private I was at a bar and went to order his second martini. He said "martini's are like women's breast. One isn't enough and three is too many."

there. I've quoted the one guy in the class i couldn't stand.
:?
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:58 pm

rolf!

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:48 pm

Welcome to Wordtrip calico... I guess I'm a little late on this welcome wagon, but looks as if others have made you feel at home.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
wrathofpengy
Wordtripper

Postby wrathofpengy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:30 am

Welcome, calico. Here's hoping you have a good time here. I'm sure you'll enjoy all we have to offer.
"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment." - Slaughter House Five, Kurt Vonnegut

Online Journal
Concentricus.com
Writings
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:29 pm

Hey, calico...the poetry challenge NEVER stresses quantity...like "as many poems as possible"... or tells you how long to make them. The inspiration starter is posted and you just take it from there, wherever it happens to lead you. You can even use them to start thinking prose, if you so desire. No hard and fast rules. Just don't get the cheesy detective in here writing profane poetry. :D
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America

Return to “Member Introductions”