Howdy, Ya'll

A place to introduce yourself.

Moderators: JillStar, Metaphor Makers

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Howdy, Ya'll

Postby bfsooner » Mon May 30, 2005 8:16 pm

Howdy. I'm an Okie who will be transplanting myself to Texas in a couple of weeks. I'm so happy to find this forum. I am currently working on a novel and a short story. Both fall into the "literary fiction" genre, which is what I prefer to read, although sometimes I take a time out to read an occasional horror novel or chick lit book. I look forward to the discussions to come.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon May 30, 2005 8:19 pm

Welcome, bfsooner (Rebecca)...Always happy to greet new members. Hope you take time to investigate all the threads...the challenges, books of the month, and so on. Something for everyone. Have fun! Post often. :D
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Mon May 30, 2005 8:35 pm

Always nice to see a new 'face' at WT. Have fun with it! (we sure do) :D

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon May 30, 2005 8:54 pm

Welcome! Tell us more about yourself! What age 'decade' do you fall into, what other hobbies do you have, etc?
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon May 30, 2005 8:58 pm

welcome to wordtrip!
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Ben Stewart
Wordtripper

Postby Ben Stewart » Mon May 30, 2005 9:13 pm

Welcome bfsooner! I'm sure you'll enjoy WT. Tell me, what is a chick lit book? Never heard it before, but I live a sheltered life!
Ben Stewart

"Boy, I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals." -- Butch Cassidy

Preview my new book at www.thedesertstone.com
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon May 30, 2005 9:15 pm

Ok, I'm between my mid-twenties and my late-twenties. My hobbies vary depending on the season, in the spring I like to plant plants and flowers, in the summer I like to fish, camp, swim, in the fall I'm dedicated to college football, and in the winter I just don't know what to do with myself and I usually just do extra reading and writing; and of course, writing and reading are constants through the year. I don't watch too much television, but sadly I'm addicted to "Desperate Housewives." I really don't regularly watch any other shows. I love to read different genres and writers. My favorite author is Daphne duMaurier, but there is a big tie for second favorite, such as David Guterson, Anita Shreve, Dean Koontz, Jane Austen, George Eliot, and the list could go on. I also love music. Being the loyal Okie that I am, I love Toby Keith, Reba, Garth, and etc, but I also LOVE Guns 'n Roses, Black Eyed Peas, Scissor Sisters, and so many other artists that the only thing they have in common is that they are in my CD collection. Basically, I don't like pigeon-holing myself into any one group. I'm just all over the place...and heck, it's a lot of fun.
Rebecca

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon May 30, 2005 9:17 pm

"Last night I dreampt I went again to Manderley...."

I love Dean Koontz, especially his newest several books..
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon May 30, 2005 9:20 pm

Examples of chick lit are the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella, the sex and the City series by Candance Bushnell, and Bridget Jones' diary. It is a genre that is fairly new, and great reads for women wanting sort of goofy characters and not wanting serious passion that is prevalent in romance books. They are usually good for a laugh.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon May 30, 2005 9:23 pm

Mlou, I was actually named after that book; however, my favority duMaurier book is Jamaica Inn. One of the most psychologically frightening books I have ever read.
Rebecca

Ben Stewart
Wordtripper

Postby Ben Stewart » Mon May 30, 2005 9:25 pm

So in the fall you're dedicated to college football? You must be a rabid fan, because not too many mid-to-late twenty-something women play college football.
Ben Stewart

"Boy, I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals." -- Butch Cassidy

Preview my new book at www.thedesertstone.com
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon May 30, 2005 9:26 pm

bfsooner wrote:Mlou, I was actually named after that book; however, my favority duMaurier book is Jamaica Inn. One of the most psychologically frightening books I have ever read.

Did that by any chance become a Hitchcock movie? I know he did one by that name...
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon May 30, 2005 9:30 pm

I am a rabid football fan, and have been since I was about five years old. That sometimes happens in Oklahoma. Football is like another religion, and then my alma mater happens to be pretty good (although we seem to have some problems with the "big game"). I get kind of depressed after January 4, and there's no more college football.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon May 30, 2005 9:31 pm

I do believe that "Jamaica Inn" was made into a movie. I do know that Hitchcock directed the movie version of "Rebecca." In fact, it was his only Oscar. It is a great movie, if you've never seen it. There are some classic cinematagraphy scenes in that movie.
Rebecca

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon May 30, 2005 9:51 pm

Yes, Rebecca is a good one. I'll have to check and see if Jamaica Inn from Hitchcock was from this book...
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon May 30, 2005 10:01 pm

Looks like the Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn IS du Maurier...
Last edited by Anblick on Mon May 30, 2005 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon May 30, 2005 10:02 pm

Welcome to Wordtrip Rebecca... we're glad to have you here!
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon May 30, 2005 10:10 pm

Anblick, that is awesome. I think Hitchcock might've loved du Maurier as much as I do. I believe I remember my mother telling me that "The Birds" is based off of a du Maurier story as well. I will have to find "Jamaica Inn" to go with in my movie collection. My husband actually went to Jamaica Inn on a trip he took to Great Britain after he graduated from high school. I would love to go sometime, and to see the Cornwall that so inspired du Maurier.
Rebecca

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon May 30, 2005 10:15 pm

Cornwall is cool. Also has Tintagel, which is suppossedly the birthplace of King Arthur (I was fortunate enough to live in England for 18 months!)
LostCoastArtist
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LostCoastArtist » Mon May 30, 2005 10:26 pm

Hey. Welcome to the site. :D
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Mon May 30, 2005 11:09 pm

Welcome to WT, I'm sure you'll find whatever you are looking for here...It's a very addictive site offering fun and challenging things to do.
Copyright Brenda G. Evans 2008
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue May 31, 2005 12:07 am

Welcome to WT! Believe me once you're addicted to WordTrip you'll fill up your free time very fast. Just remember to write too.
Is this my reality or yours?
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Tue May 31, 2005 3:52 am

Welcome to WT!

Now I have to pose a question...What do people see in Dean Koontz? I was just talking to Kal abouth this same topic and by coincidence Koontz is mentioned in this thread a couple times. I've read his books and think his writing style is amateurish and his plots lack imagination. I'm sorry if I offend any Koontz fans, but my question is legitimate. There are many well published authors that sell TONS of books, but their writing stinks. So what is the draw?

I guess I'm frustrated that I see so many talented writers who are strugglling and then read novel after novel from authors who, well, stink. :?

To be fair, I just bought his novel "The Taking". Maybe I will eventually see what everyone else sees, but for now it escapes me.
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby bfsooner » Tue May 31, 2005 5:38 am

Hyker, I do agree that Koontz doesn't have the best writing style out there, in my opinion, it has really diminished recently. I pick Koontz (and other prolific authors of genre fiction) when I want a quick read and don't want to be pondering any lingering questions. I certainly don't look for him as an example of style or original voice. He's just a fun little break from the weightier issues...

If you would like to read a Koontz book that I feel does have some merit for emergiing authors, then I recomment "Strangers." He does a very good job of treating several characters who seemingly have parallel storylines without confusing the reader. Just beware, the ending is very disappointing.
Rebecca

Writingmom
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Writingmom » Tue May 31, 2005 8:43 am

Hyker wrote:I guess I'm frustrated that I see so many talented writers who are strugglling and then read novel after novel from authors who, well, stink. :?

This same thread is on another list I belong to, and I think its such a valid frustration!
Apparently, it's the whole money thing! despite the fact that an author may lack originality, or actual talent, if their book sells, they sell. It's that simple. It drives the rest of us crazy...we read a book and think, man, I can write better than THIS! But we can't get through the door!
Some day...that's why a lot of them start their own publishing companies..

8)
http://ldspaz.blogspot.com
~*~ Writing is life ~*~

Return to “Member Introductions”