Hi From Minnesota

A place to introduce yourself.

Moderators: JillStar, Metaphor Makers

Alabaster Muse
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Hi From Minnesota

Postby Alabaster Muse » Thu May 05, 2005 5:31 pm

Hi! I've just checked my profile and realize that I am a "lurking member". That gave me a chuckle and I decided to come and introduce myself.

I am a 41 year-old female, who has spent the last two years as a non-traditional college student. Throughout these two years I have uncovered a latent passion for writing. I was able to attain a cumulative 4.0, and almost all of my professors said that I was going into the wrong field, that I should be pursuing writing. One professor even offered to help me get published in a literary journal, an offer that I sadly walked away from.

Why do I tell all this? Because it is what has landed me on the doorstep of Wordtrip as a lurking member. I am unable to finish school because of financial reasons, and have decided to write. But this decision has brought me up against a monster I was unprepared for... Fear. That fear has a stranglehold on my ability to write.

Where I used to be able to rattle off A papers on any subject, volumes of personal essays, poetry, and even short stories, I now find a huge knot in the pit of my stomach everytime I sit down to the keyboard, and a mind that will not cooperate. I have never been so befuddled, and I am hoping that in these pages I will find inspiration and encouragement.

I love browsing through the various forums and am amazed and humbled at the talent within these pages. I am looking forward to becoming a participating member as I battle through this barrier of fear. This is an incredible site, and I admire the effort that has been put into making this site a success.
This sparrow
who comes to sit at my window
is a poetic truth more
than a natural one. ~William Carlos Williams
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu May 05, 2005 5:36 pm

Welcome to Wordtrip Alabaster . . . glad to see you've made it past Lurking Member. :)

As you've seen, we do have some great forums resources on Wordtrip to help writers along their writing journey. I understand that fear you're feeling as I feel my own most times I sit to write... especially when I can't write.

If you have any questions or need help around the site, let us know... we love having new members join us!

Happy Wordtrippin'!!
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu May 05, 2005 5:47 pm

Ah, a lurking member steps into the light. Welcome to Word Trip we are really glad you're here!

I think we all have fear when we write and if we get enough people together we can all bash our heads against that wall of fear and smash it. :banghead: :-D

Why not try some of our writing challenges. We have a different one for every day of the week. We supply the idea you supply the words.

If you can get a copy of our writing book selection for the month (The No-Experience-Necessary Writer's Course) there's some good advice in there. If not just stop by the discussion thread HERE and listen in.
Is this my reality or yours?
Writingmom
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Writingmom » Fri May 06, 2005 8:21 am

Welcome! You're gonna find your muse here.
8)
http://ldspaz.blogspot.com
~*~ Writing is life ~*~

Postby Guest » Fri May 06, 2005 10:36 am

Welcome, Alabaster,

Isn't that the color of everything in Frostbite Falls, Minnesota? :D I'm a northern neighbor to your west. Are you currently writing in any particular genre?

Chase
Alabaster Muse

Postby Alabaster Muse » Fri May 06, 2005 10:45 am

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I've checked out the book, penwenn and ordered it.

Writingmom, I am inspired already!

Chase, VERY FUNNY! :lol: I lean towards creative non-fiction, personal essay, and poetry. That being said, I would love to develop my fiction writing skills.
This sparrow

is a poetic truth more

Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Fri May 06, 2005 10:35 pm

Welcome to WT Muse! I was hoping to get some more Minnesota blood flowing on this here web site. What kind of writing do you dabble in? As for your fear I do not know what you specifically fear about writing but I can guess it is about what others may think. If this is true, then, you yourself are the biggest thing you should be afraid of, I mean what's someone going to do with a story of yours if they don't like it, shot you? Ain't going to happen! Hyker who is a WT'er and a fellow former Minnesotan and a long time friend of mine was also very apprehensive about writing. Now, after many rejections, I think he has finally gotten over his apprehension about what others think. He doesn't take rejections now as a personal affront but as merely part of the process. Anyway, again, welcome to Word Trip and happy writing! :D
"Space is deep, man is small, and time is his relentless enemy" L. Ron Hubbard
http://www.ilovecheese.com/
"It's hard to dance when the floor keeps moving"...
luminosity
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby luminosity » Sat May 07, 2005 12:53 am

Always pleased to welcome a fellow poet :thumbwink:

This is a supportive, friendly environment, so don't be shy about sharing your work--we'll be nice (But honest, if you ask for crit) :-D

Have fun, and check out all of the challenges and prompts--you might be surprised at what you can come up with from these.

WELCOME! :D
To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.--Elbert Hubbard
Alabaster Muse

Postby Alabaster Muse » Sun May 08, 2005 12:43 pm

Thank you Cheese and luminosity!

Cheese, it is exciting to meet someone from home. I've traveled extensively and lived in many places, but there is no place that can compete with Minnesota.

The kind of writing I like to do is creative non-fiction, personal essay, and poetry. I actually enjoyed doing research papers for college! I do rather well with deadlines and narrowed topics. Left to my own devices I am rather undisciplined and have a bad case of monkey mind. I want to try my hand at fiction, but the genre feels so intimidating. The fear I spoke of isn't so much to do with rejection. It has more to do with a fear that I have nothing valueable to say... like it is so much mediocre drivel.

Anyway...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all Mom's! :clap: May your day be filled with blessings.
This sparrow

is a poetic truth more

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun May 08, 2005 4:25 pm

Hi...Alabaster! Might I ask if you've checked into the scholarship type help that might be available to an older person who wants to complete college (as opposed to the scholarships available to high school seniors, I mean)? Sometimes there is a surprising diversity of help available, especially for someone with high grade averages.

You'll find just about every kind of writing represented here and probably some who have had success in those fields. As for fear, that goes with it :-D . Fear we won't be good enough. That we'll sound banal or stupid. You just accept it and go ahead anyway. To quote my pal Cheese, "What can they do...SHOT you?? :D
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sun May 08, 2005 7:00 pm

Hi, Alabaster. Welcome to the boards. Lots of muse-type activity going on around here, so you should fit right in. Ignore the fear, dive on in. Happy wordtripping.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
dumbsheep1702
Wordtripper

Postby dumbsheep1702 » Tue May 10, 2005 4:27 pm

there's nothin that's invaluable everything has some meaning for good or bad
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue May 10, 2005 9:37 pm

i've been a bad mod and not welcoming people :(
so welcome and hope you like it around here! :)
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
tigerlily

Welcome, Alabaster Muse!

Postby tigerlily » Tue May 17, 2005 2:10 pm

You have certainly come to the right place for encouragement.
Wordtrip has helped me tremendously. Just knowing there's someone out there, interested in what you write, praising you for making the attempt, looking forward to your next effort, can be enough to keep you going right through the "off" days and back into serious writing.
When I was in high school, I wrote quite a bit in my english journal, but I mostly relied on my teacher to supply the prompts. I got a lot of praise and support from him and some of my other teachers, but I didn't take it seriously. I won some little award for young writers, I don't even remember what it was called, and I was presented with a beautiful hard-back journal. I wrote in it, hesitantly, always feeling like it had to be the best writing, with no mistakes allowed, because it was a nice book I had won and I didn't want to mess it up. Every so often, I would cut pages out that I decided weren't good enough, until I eventually destroyed the poor thing and threw it away. Yet all the while I was struggling with this little blank book, I continued to write in my journal for class with much less effort and much more pleasure. I wasn't writing to impress, just writing for its own sake.
In college, I struggled with my creative writing class (see my intro for more about that), and I never wrote any more than I had to. There was a certain magic about that class, even so. Every day I would walk in and sit down and immediately start writing.
Then when I got out of college, I said, "Now it's time to write a book. Well, maybe not right now; tomorrow, maybe..."
Then I discovered Wordtrip. It's like my high school journal. I know somebody is going to read it, but instead of intimidating me, it's actually kind of encouraging. I am in fact so inspired, that I am at long last writing a book!
I have discovered four keys to prolific writing:

1) Set up a routine. A set time and place to write every day.

2) Set a goal or deadline to work towards.

3) Never look back. (If I start reading my writing before I'm finished, I'll edit it to death)

4) Seek positive feedback. I love to post my shorter writings in Wordtrip, where people are so friendly and supportive!

5)Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Of course, your own secret formula might turn out to be quite different, but the main thing is, you're here and you're committed to write, and I hope you stay that way! Good luck!
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Alabaster Muse

Postby Alabaster Muse » Tue May 17, 2005 2:24 pm

Hi Tigerlily!

I can't tell you how wonderful it is when I read of people who share many of the struggles in writing that I am having or have experienced. But even more importantly, when they share how they have overcome. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

I've only been at Wordtrip for a couple of weeks, but have found the environment challenging, and the responses I receive most encouraging. I am impressed with the hard work that goes into making this a thriving site, and the professionalism found within its pages.

I am looking forward to reading more of your writing.
This sparrow

is a poetic truth more

Nephtalius

Postby Nephtalius » Fri May 20, 2005 1:58 pm

Hi AM. Like your avatar.
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle. -- Bucky in the Get Fuzzy comic strip.

Return to “Member Introductions”