Hi!

A place to introduce yourself.

Moderators: JillStar, Metaphor Makers

Temujin
Wordtripper

Hi!

Postby Temujin » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:32 pm

Surprise, I'm new. Just came back from a writers conference and was given this site by two members (Cal & Hyker). Primarily I'm looking to get advice/critiquing from fellow writers & happy to share my 2 cents back.

I'm primarily interested in SF writing. My current goal is to finish a large project that I started about 9 years ago... in 6 months I did a LOT of research, did some worldbuilding, designed characters... then got married, had a kid, etc... and after 7 years on hold I got p'd off that I had this unfinished story on my to-do list. So, throwing myself at writing, tryin to learn the craft as well as the trade to get published.

Some of my favorite authors: Frank Herbert, Tom Clancy, Bernard Cornwell, Patrick O'Brian, Anne Rice, Douglass Adams...
In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad idea. - DNA

RIP NHL: 1917 - 2005
luminosity
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby luminosity » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:57 pm

Hi back atcha, Temujin! I'm a to-do-list-maker, too, so I can relate to how much it can drive a person nuts not being able to get something important scratched off that list! You're in a good place for getting advice/crit and for getting creative. Lots of challenges, prompts, and friendly conversation always available. Good luck with the project, and have fun here... Welcome to WT! :D
To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.--Elbert Hubbard
hyperfine
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby hyperfine » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:02 pm

Welcome Temujin!

A lot of my stories are several years in the making and tend to get pushed aside when life gets busy. I finished a couple of short stories recently and thought These ten pages took me three years? How did that happen? It can be hard to get back into a project after you've left it alone for a while.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:47 pm

Welcome aboard! It's funny sometimes how life interferes with the good stuff - like writing. Check us out, but don't forget to write.
Is this my reality or yours?
hyperfine

Postby hyperfine » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:57 pm

Check us out, but don't forget to write.

Excellent advice pengwenn. There's something I need to work on....
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:47 pm

Word Trip or writing. You just gotta find time for both.
Is this my reality or yours?
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:01 pm

Welcome to Wordtrip Temujin!!

I write sci-fi as well. :D
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Writingmom
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Writingmom » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:33 am

Welcome, you're gonna like it here. There are lots of sci-fi writers as well as the rest of us - :-D
8)
http://ldspaz.blogspot.com
~*~ Writing is life ~*~
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:26 pm

Welcome aboard Temujin! I think you'll enjoy it here. The people are teriffic and inspirational.

Get into a Writing Group and get some critiques of your work.

See you around the threads and probably at the next PPW workshop. :)
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:29 pm

Temujin,

Hi. I'm new, too, the token mystery writer. But I like to read sci-fi, which Jillstar writes as well as . . . whom, Jillstar? Asimov? Campbell? Van Vogt? Clarke? Bradbury? Heinlein?

Anyway, welcome.

Chase.
Temujin
Wordtripper

Postby Temujin » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:50 pm

Thanks for the welcomes... gonna clean up a little bit of what I've got so far and start throwing it to the wolves soon. I'm a bit hungry myself, so looking forward to gnawing on some stories as well.

:twisted:
In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad idea. - DNA

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:34 pm

NOW I find the thread! :-D So welcome again, seeing that I posted in your bio already. BAD Mlou!! :twisted:
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun May 01, 2005 7:04 pm

Welcome aboard..We love Scifi around here and often tangent on the subject..

We can help you with your project in several ways..first our writing groups can help by reviewing different segments that you post and helping you figure out how to improve, edit etc.

Also, we can help with specific areas of research several reference threads are up in writer's research, plus you can add your own.. if you are looking for help say with a type of character or naming characters or maybe you need help with a writing problem like voice or point of view...ask in writer's research.

If writer's block becomes a problem..chill out in the coffee shop or start some trivial fun in the bar...then try our challenges..by focusing your mind on something else...it may help you to break free of your block

When all else fails, VENT....we have areas for reading, writing and personal blogs..share your life with us..

or challenge another member to a tag...

If we can help..just shout for help and you will have all you need
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Sun May 01, 2005 9:13 pm

'ello, 'ello Temujin, welcome to the 'Trip! Sci Fi happens to be my favorite genre myself. Matter of fact, some of the authors you listed are some of my favorite too. I especially like the Dune series as well as Douglas Adams. I got a question for you, do you like the new dune novels that Frank's son is writing? I really like 'em and can't wait for the next book to come out, but I can understand how the purists out there might not like the books so well... Last question, what kind of Sci Fi do you write?
"Space is deep, man is small, and time is his relentless enemy" L. Ron Hubbard
http://www.ilovecheese.com/
"It's hard to dance when the floor keeps moving"...
kexxy
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby kexxy » Sun May 01, 2005 10:32 pm

Welcome!!

So explain the name....
Dont "should" on yourself,
Dont "Should" on others,
And NEVER let anyone,
Should on you!
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun May 01, 2005 10:39 pm

oh and we should warn you that Kex & Delaney are Depp worshippers..grin
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Temujin
Wordtripper

Postby Temujin » Sun May 01, 2005 11:33 pm

Hi... as for the Dune books... Frank Herbert's Dune is (in my opinion) the best scifi out there. By far the richest universe/story I've ever read. I am a big fan of Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson's 'extensions' to this universe, particularly their first three (attreides/harkonnen/corino).

The jihad trilogy was good, but just didn't seem to feel 'dunish' enough to me. I think it's just because of the fact machines are in it...

Anyway, I have this theory that the Giedi Prime Omnius clones sent out in the first book of the jihad trilogy is what the Honored Matre's are running from in Chapterhouse... and what Herbert/Anderson have been building up to in their 'Dune 7/8' that they're releasing next.

As for type of scifi... the story I'm working on now is military/techno-thriller/sci-fi all rolled together, set off world, centered on apocalyptic religious prophecy. Pretty much all the types of stories I like mixed with cream cheese and stuffed into a fried wonton.

As for the name... you can google it if you want. The short answer is Temujin is the birth name of Genghis Khan. Also the antagonist's name in the story I'm writing now...

Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Sun May 01, 2005 11:47 pm

Well I must say I pretty much agree with your assessment of the two new Dune trilogies. I did like the ‘houses stories’ better then the Jihad stores though I think it was very fascinating in the respect that I’ve always wondered how some of the things that are in the Dune universe came about and why they are so against computers. I like your theory on the 'clones. I can't really say for sure right now if you are right or not though as I haven't read Chapterhouse in over 15 years. But I will for sure read it before the latest book from Anderson/Herbert comes out so that I can understand the story better... If you have any stories you'd like proof-read Temujin, I'd love to read them.
"Space is deep, man is small, and time is his relentless enemy" L. Ron Hubbard

http://www.ilovecheese.com/

"It's hard to dance when the floor keeps moving"...
Nephtalius

Postby Nephtalius » Mon May 02, 2005 2:20 pm

Hi Temujin.
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle. -- Bucky in the Get Fuzzy comic strip.
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Tue May 03, 2005 12:26 pm

Welcome Home. :D

I write metaphysical & philosophical fiction. I have an online journal (set below) and an offline one entitled I Dream of Mannequins and Dying Children. Just random stuff about the day and what I'm feeling, and whatever distant landscapes my muse leads me to.

I'm currently working on a YA fiction project (also set below). It involves the main character's perception of reality twisting out of the norm, so he ends up reverting into himself and exploring the innards of his mind.

Also a fantasy project, but no one is supposed to know about that. VERY secretive.

*sigh* All in the effort to make myself interesting...

Anyway, welcome Home. :wink:

Return to “Member Introductions”